Optical Character Recognition (OCR), OCR helps to scan printed documents and retrieve texts from images. It makes it possible to extract text from an image and edit it without having to type it all manually.
This article discusses how you can extract data from images using Optical Character Recognition (OCR).
Before going further, you will need to know what the term data extraction means.
Data extraction is the process of pulling out data from various sources (unstructured or poorly structured) to process it further or store it.
The data can be raw or formatted in some prescribed way, such as written or printed text. The extracted information can be used for varied purposes and tasks.
What is OCR?
Have you ever had a task that needed you to extract text manually from an image file? Optical character recognition helped you do that.
OCR which stands for Optical Character Recognition Software, is an automated way of converting images to text. It is often used when you need a document extracted from an image.
With the aid of an algorithm, OCR extracts meaning from images by scanning documents. Text extraction from images is a process of converting characters in an image into editable text, which can then be saved as a Word document or PDF.
Benefits of OCR in text extraction.
Beyond reasonable doubt, products that use OCR technology gives room for speed and accuracy in extracting data from images amongst other advantages.
- Usability: The converted text from an image can be edited and used for your benefit.
- Saves time: OCR has helped to eliminate the manual task of storing files and extracting data. With OCR, data is extracted and saved in no distant time.
- Image to text conversion: OCR provides a major benefit of converting images into text for different purposes.
- Data security: OCR and data security hand in hand. With OCR, the data extracted is stored securely and can be easily accessed at any time.
How Voyance Vision uses OCR to extract text from images
- Vision through the aid of OCR scans images, identifies and reveals areas on the image(s) where there is relevant textual information. It then creates the bounding boxes around these smaller areas.
- It extracts the text from each bounding box using long short term memory (LSTM) and other Machine Learning models.
From the view of a user this is how Voyance Vision OCR works:
- Upload the image: Select the image you want to extract data from
- Open Grab text on Vision OCR
- Step 3: Copy the text generated from your image.
Practical Industry Uses for OCR technology.
The use of OCR is relevant in so many industries for different reasons.
- Banking: OCR is used to capture account information, detect fraud and ensure seamless flow of operation.
- Legal: OCR is used to digitise printed documents.
- Healthcare: OCR is used to extract reports from data like X-rays and hospital records.
- Business: OCR is used to extract serial codes from phones.
AI-powered systems like Voyance Vision provide you with an easier way of extracting data from your images without wasting time.